Thursday, July 14, 2016

An ending brings on a new beginning

A Short Message

By Shaun DeCasas

     My name is Shaun and my short 14 year stint with the Military has come to a conclusion. I recognized that I no longer had a love for what I did so change was inline. I hungered for something that would allow me to grow, feel free, and to travel whenever and wherever I so shall desired. I have recently (just under 2 years) discovered the truly passionate sport of Ultra Running via a great friend of mine, Eric Roberts. Since my introduction to the most human testing sport I have ran in 3 100+ mile winter Ultras, two 50 milers, and a 24 hour event. I can't seem to get enough visiting time with myself in the highest of highs and lowest of lows. The ups and downs that Ultras bring are just what I crave. I am also in amazement for how awesome we each are as individuals and the overwhelming positivity that the community holds. Now that I have so much time on my hand I will be traveling and running and looking for them awe moments. Azimuth, my goof of a dog, will be there to share in the experiences. I should state that I am not the most educated man so when it comes to writing I'm sure there are a ton of grammatical errors. I will do my best to get better along the way. 
     For now my only things on the docket are the Bigfoot 200 ( 13-16 August), Tahoe 200 (9-12 September), Susitna 100, and ITI 130 (both in Feb '17). I am debating on the Javelina Jundred and the ATY 6-day events. I figure I'll just make decisions along the way, don't want to tie myself down too much. Along the route I am also looking to do some volunteer work on the trails and for race, gotta give back.
     I'm gonna keep this short for I want to get out onto the road and see where it takes me. I will say I don't know how long I shall choose to live the van life and free roam cause this journey is about discovery. I have chosen to chase down a passion and figure what's the worst that could happen. To all those I have had the privileged to work with know that I am grateful for our interaction for it has made me into who I am today. I can't thank you enough for the time. Until next time I'll leave you all with this, "It's a dangerous business going out of your door, you step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to."  -Bilbo Baggins 




2 comments:

  1. You motorboatin son of a bitch! Happy trails brother. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. You motorboatin son of a bitch! Happy trails brother. Take care

    ReplyDelete