Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Stepping into Madness...

     On the morning on August 12th I was at the bottom of Mount St. Helens awaiting the beginning of my biggest challenge to date, a 205 mile adventure through the rugged terrain of the cascades. I had purposely not looked at any checkpoint descriptions or terrain analysis. I just wanted to go out there and be myself and not overwhelm myself with the details. I was pleased to know some of the other runners that would be tempting this treacherous course. Some that I had just met a couple weeks ago and one that I met back at Cowles Lake checkpoint at the Susitna 100 winter ultra race, Sarah Duffy. I was able to track her down prior to the gun going off and snapped a quick photo not knowing if I'd see her along the trail again.
     The countdown clock was on crack and before I knew it our 105 hr cutoff time was getting closer. It was a hot day and from racers in the past year having said the first 30+ miles were pretty shadeless I was intent on keeping my cool, body temp style. I was going to move intently but not so much to over exert myself so early in the race. Moving was easy and exhilarating filled with good conversation all along the trail, across boulders, and lava rocks all the way to the first checkpoint. Feeling good and happy. After some quick eats and drinks I set out onto the trail once again but this time alongside Sarah. The runners were beginning to spread out along the trail. We cruised along through the desolate blowout areas of Mt. Saint Helens wondering if we had somehow ended up in the desert of Arizona. I was in search of Cactus to prove my theory that we were. We kept up a good pace but with the heat heating up... Soon we were running really low on water and knew we still had some miles to track before the next checkpoint. I guess it would've been good to check and see if there was a clean water spot along the route, oh well. Oh look there seems to be a hang up of runners up there... I wonder whats going on??? Oasis!!!I drank a quick half gallon or so of water before I even knew what was going on. Hands in water, kicked off shoes, cooled down. With new found hydration and refilled bottles we hit the trail again with purpose. On this leg we happen to run into a couple that looked like the gentleman was having a rough time. He was overheating and vomiting... Not good to be happening only 25 or so miles in. We passed with hopes that things would turn around for him with the sunset coming upon us withing the next couple hours. The couple would happen to be the team of Sara and Jared (we see them throughout the rest of the course). Now imagine for a brief second that while you are hiking somewhere and you see these crazy routes that get steep and high quickly and another that can get you to the same location but nice and easy. Well on Candace Burt's courses you will always find yourself on the steep badass section cause they make for greater views and stories, haha. At checkpoint two I get my traditional leg cramps (usually between 30-40 miles in) as usual which makes for a hell of a time putting shoes back on when you want to get moving again. With two short legs coming up and the sun setting Sarah and me head back onto the course in good spirits. From here on out I'm just going to refer to Sarah and me as we. I think little did we know that we would spend the rest of the time on the Bigfoot 200 course by each others side, me leading, Sarah leading, or just minutes separating us at most on the course when one was feeling good or wanted some own time.
     We kept moving briskly all the way to the fourth checkpoint where we were going to make a decision to get a bit of sleep prior to a big leg with lots of climbing. We got less sleep than I would have preferred but its always good to head out into the darkness with a thunder buddy. While at Coldwater CP I met Sarah's crew composed of the hilarious, good spirited, ever helpful Billy and the tenacious, story filled Anne. These two would become essential into our success out on the trail by either pacing, crewing, or recharging our spirits with huge smiles and support. We head out at like 1 am through Norway pass, one of the harder ones. We wanted to do a lot of the climbing in the dark and a lot of climbing there was. Anne was pacing us while I was barely hanging onto the back. My thoughts were negative at this point in time. I wanted to quit so badly, twist an ankle, give me reason to be pulled by a medic, something!! We stopped briefly on the side of and open ridge area and I just curled up into a little ball and tried to get some semblance of a nap to hopefully dream myself out of this nightmare I had gotten myself into. Damn... I signed up for the Tahoe 200, which was only a few weeks after this race, also.... Stupid! Maybe I can volunteer my time instead to Candace and she can roll me into next years Race if I'm up to it, yeah. Before I could think 25 minutes had passed and I was shivering to no end, down and out but with Sarah and Anne saying we are going to move and you're coming with. Well the macho inside wasn't going to be left behind so we moved. Up and up we went through the wee hours of the morning, through the pass overlooking Spirit Lake and some other one. We sat atop Margaret Mountain looking back at all that we had traveled but I had no desire to take it in. I loathed the trail at that point. Hitting the high point of the course meant we were going to head down. It was slow until Sarah took a cat nap and then blazed past us! I soon enough was able to grease up the ole joints and get them moving very graciously down to the next checkpoint.
     Into the next checkpoint we went, got some breakfast burritos, drinks, refills, restroom, against my want to get some rest we hit the trail again with heavy chaffing beginning to settle in after 65 miles and feet taking a pounding. Each take off from here on out would become a gradual movement to work everything into a comfortable sense and let the body send chemicals to mask up the pains. Norway to Elk was slow moving and terrible trail with big riveted trail from bikers but we both kept pushing. At Elk we both laid down for a bit, even though it wasn't a sleep station. I got about and hour and Sarah about an hour and a half. We were intent on reaching over 100 miles before the end of day two. We were in better spirits after some shut eye and renewed energy and a change of clothes for me at the next aid station, yay! With a quick arrival and realizing we had about 20+ miles to the next actual sleep station we got a quick nap in at the mile 90 CP and hit the trail with Billy up to Spencer Butte CP. It was easy going but ended up being a lot more climbing than we had thought. We saw a lot of bear scat along the trail and when Sarah and I had pushed hard forward Billy ended up having an encounter with the bear that was leaving these markings. Thankfully nothing happened to Billy for this was not his first rodeo with a bear! At Spencer we met up with Todd, Head Medic, and he began to do his magic on our feet. I got worked on first as we both ate a ton of food, rehydrated, and prepped for the next leg. When Sarah was getting worked on I felt like a moment like that shouldn't be squandered on a good cat nap in the chair. If the Military taught me one thing... Its sleep when you can. They tried to play games with me saying I'd slept for an hour but i knew better. With bellies full, spirits high, past the 100 mile maker, we pushed onto Lewis CP. A good part of it was downhill with a couple of hills but nothing serious. Along the river there were beautiful sight of multiple waterfalls and we took in the views. We both discussed how at any other time we would've pulled up a chair, some beer, and just sat along the river. Into the checkpoint 111 mile marker at just over two days in we went and got some much needed rest, about two hours I think. We woke up feeling hot from the sun, at least I did, and moved to refuel and move out. We all left with notes from the CP that were meant to be opened in a time of when we were at our worst (I don't believe we ever ended up opening them).
     With this next big leg Anne set the pace and it was hard (for me). Soon enough I was just overheating, sweating profusely, and needed to draw it back. Anne and Sarah pushed forward as I moved at a pace comfortable for me. A step forward is a step towards the finish. We moved along to a point where all of a sudden I was leading a leisurely pace and Sarah was getting some personal time. At one point Anne was like, "I can tell you a story or I can leave you to your thoughts?" My response was classic I'd have to say, "there is nothing going on up here (as I pointed my trekking poles to my head). Go ahead with your story!" I was still moving ruggedly along the trail all through the wonderful story of how she met her husband. Soon after I put on my first tunes of the race, 'hooked on a feeling" by Blue Suede and man did that turn things around for this guy. Before I knew it we were tracking other runners down and cruising along feeling anew. We just curiously happen to run into Council Bluffs CP way earlier than any of us had thought. That CP was on point with experimental food and very active volunteers and oh man... a seat by the fire! With energy flowing through the both of us we only stayed a bit and hit the trail again. When you feel good you gotta keep going with it until you lose it. I continued the music and conversation with Anne as we cruised into the Chain of Lakes CP. I passed by more runners and even got one that was just by the wayside in a bad way. Was able to get him up and going knowing we only had about a mile or so to the CP. I rolled in before Sarah at about 1 am and wanted to sleep until about 4 am but told Billy to wake me up whenever Sarah had desired. I was woken up at about 330 am I believe. I was slow moving so I told Sarah to go on without me and hopefully I'll see here down the line. I left about 20 mins after her. I caught up to her after about an hour or so but I moved on past being I was feeling good. I felt all alone for a while but she and I were never more than a few minutes apart. Through this morning knowing we only had about 60 or so miles left I began to feel emotional. Was thinking of Azimuth at the finish. Thinking I can't believe I'm still here moving.Just everything was compounding and soon I was holding back tears. It was all just overwhelming for unknown reasons. This section of the trail was hard with a nice long climb up to Elk peak. I went up it a couple weeks prior with Tom so I knew what I was looking for but there were so many false summits and the sun was out to play. Kept plugging away and cursed my way all the way to the top and back down Elk peak, thanks Candace. Oh Klickitat.... Oh Klickitat CP, thank you. Who would've thought that I would get a good clean up with a foot/calf wash and massage! Feet retaped, plenty of food, dry clothes, ready to take on the last really hard section. We left feeling as good as one could feel after 157 miles and a little less than 50 to go. We moved good until about two or so hours in and then it became looking at one another and agreeing to take trail naps. "Put us on the clock Sarah!" After multiple ones Sarah began to question if the race was even going on any more. I began to question the same. After about two more hours of that I stopped us and was like, "lets get some solid food in us, get off of our feet. Once we get up lets put on our own music, and we need to pick it up." Sarah, "pick it all up." We both laughed and then it began. We were just moving along and I was looking for any sign of the trail that I knew. Darkness fell upon us and I found myself on a familiar part of the trail. "I know Where I AM!" I waited for Sarah to catch back up and told her we were less than 2 miles out, I'll run forward and have food ready once you arrive. I took off like no other as if I had just hit the trail. Twin Sisters CP is here as were we. I was so elated to be there for I knew the next section of the trail and we only had 28 more miles until we would be done.
     Laying down for some much needed rest was just awesome. We were in the rest stop with Jared and Sara. I got woken up by George slipping into the tent and we chatted a bit. All was good and we continued to check in with each other along the route to make sure we were all good. Wake up time always happens sooner than later out on the trail but we only had a bit more to go so it was a good feeling. Lots of hot coco does the body good in a cold morning. We were up with Jared and Sara but unfortunately Someone had taken Jared's shoes. He had the absolutely best outlook on it saying that there is nothing he can do about it until his shoes get returned so they ended up getting an extra couple of hours of rest. Just awesome. We hit the trail with some spunk and moved. We took a short breath at the top of Pompey Peak. Shut off the headlamps, gazed at the stars, looked at the other headlamps and car light all around. It was all downhill from that point with a big section of tree blowdowns. We ended up getting separated and Sarah got lost for a bit. I got out of the woods at around 530-40ish. I laid down with feet elevated and waited for Sarah to come out. Before I knew it she stumbled out around 630 am. She had tripped over some logs, got turned around but thankfully out ok. Man... last long stretch of about 5-6 miles to next station with a slight decline the whole way. We picked up the pace again as Sarah was having illusions of bears. I cruised on down to the checkpoint passing Billy and Todd along the way. Always so good to see familiar faces along the way. We only were at Owens Creek CP for a bit for only a half marathon awaited us until we would be done.
     The next 13 miles were on gravel and paved roads. A big 3-4 miles downhill and then flat from there on out. This was it! We were going to actually do this thing! We ran until we couldn't, walked up little hills, run again, run two light poles and walk one all the way to the end. We had arrived to the finish together having completed about 192 of 205 miles together. Biggest accomplishment so far to date for myself. Along the trail we had discussed how we had no desire to ever do such a race again. Beer, food, naps in the merchandise isle are things that filled the rest of the day all the way until the last finished finished with about 20 minutes remaining until cutoff. So surreal to have actually completed such a feat. I went to bed that night with thoughts of swearing off such an adventure again.
     I woke up the next morning moving decently well. I helped pack up the finish line area  and loaded up the trailer. Soon thoughts of sickness overcame me... "I can do better next time." Just the notion of taking steps forward one can achieve anything and when you have a passion for running you will find yourself stepping towards what others would consider madness but for this community... It's bliss. It's those moments that we are able to pull ourselves out of the darkness and test the human spirit that we crave. What a crazy ride it was and I will most likely return at somepoint but up next is the Tahoe 200 and I'm feeling good about it and excited to see/meet new friends there.

"Poor decisions.... Make for better stories"

No comments:

Post a Comment