Wednesday, October 19, 2016

With a calm mind...

     With the bad memories (hard times) of the Bigfoot 200 behind me I was now focusing on the Tahoe 200 beginning on September 9-12th. That gave me just over 3 weeks to recover. I wasn't sure if my feet would recover in that period but only time would tell. My mind went from freaking out during the Bigfoot 200 about doing the Tahoe 200 to just being calm. I now knew it was possible for me to complete such a task. Now I definitely still had the nerves but just more along the lines of anxiousness. I spent the time in between the two races to visit with friends and family that I haven't seen in many years and one's that I just raced with. It was a good feeling to know that all I had to do was recover and do short little runs/hikes in between the races. There would be nothing that I could do to better myself but get my feet into a healthy state again.
     I began my journey to the Tahoe 200 in Seattle to visit the Luna Sandals company. There hospitality and excitement for my journey was infectious.

After picking up a couple of Sandals I began my southern progress to Toledo, WA to visit with my older brothers close friend Jeremy Veigel and his family. They were very hospitable and spent some time down along the river to cool off from the hot days. From there I went on to hit the Oregon coastline starting in Astoria with a short visit with Tom and Peggy's family. Azimuth quickly settled herself into their place. I think she definitely loved the extra attention that she received at their place from the kids. I was able to get my first post Bigfoot run in with Tom and Peggy in my new Lunas. Many of us enablers were also able to convince Tom for doing an impromptu sign up of the Tahoe 200. We were getting close to two weeks out and the race was fast approaching. Onto the Bay area I had to go!
     It had been about 6-7 years since I was last in the San Fran area and was happy to be back in wine country! I was fortunate enough to meet Mama Love and Randy from my good friends Adam and Tasha. They took me in gracefully and made me feel right at home. I had initial intentions of only staying through the weekend but the very quickly came and gone! Randy took me out to a Giants baseball game, the driving range, had a pool party and was able to see Ricky and his family. All good times were had. I was able to sneak in a few more Luna Sandal runs along the Bay. With just about a week to go before gameday on the second 200 I headed out to South Lake Tahoe to assist in some course marking and anything else I could be of assistance with.










     I was able to get a good short trail marking section of about 13 miles in and I knew I was good to go until the race six days out from that point. I helped drive the crews around the rest of the time, helped to some set up, and on Wednesday I stepped away to get my mind right. Thursday came and gone and I was able to catch the football season opener with Tom at a pizza place for one last meal until race day. With morning here I was not jittery or anything... Just calm and ready for the task ahead. It was a beautiful day to start out this nice long event with so many unknowns but ready for whatever came my way. My intent was to have fun, be kind to others, and run my own race.

     Man that first hill was harder than I thought it would be. Even had to dig out the poles quickly. No sense in using more energy than I need to to look strong. I'm all about the second half of races. Once at the top of Ellis Peak the views just opened up! I knew I couldn't wait to return to get some pics of that section. I cruised in and out of the first couple of aid stations with no hurry but also no lolly gaggin around. My main focus for each aid station was to swap out socks and take care of my feet (they got beat up pretty bad during Bigfoot 200). I noticed early that I was having trouble eating on the trail but was confident that that would pass, hopefully sooner than later. The trails were super dusty so I often had a Buff over my nose and mouth if I was behind others or I would jump ahead of them if I felt that I could maintain a higher, comfortable pace. Things moved along and began to see regular people at aid stations like Amy, Bill, Mark, Tom, Rick, Catra, I'm sure I'm missing others. Still feeling good going into the first night a small group lead out of Wright's Lake AS which turned out to be fortunate for that section was messed with by some outsiders. A couple of people had the GPS tracker to the proper path. Eventually we ended up splitting up a bit on the last big hill where I was just sucking but put myself in a dark place and pushed hard because at this point I knew I was only a couple more miles away from Sierra Tahoe AS and I hadn't eaten much. I rolled into the AS feeling weak and just not right... My thoughts were affirmed by Tom and Todd saying I just didn't look good. I was like I'm gonna go lay down for about 2-3 hours and hit that reset button. Sure enough it wasn't the greatest of naps but I was off of my feet and when I awoke Todd said I looked a lot better. I put down a whole plate of hash browns, grapes, pickles, some soda and was like... Let's get back out there! Feeling better and on the section that I course marked I had a new found energy. I still wasn't feeling good about eating on the trail so I put it in my head to eat as much as I could at the AS and start taking in liquid calories for the trail (Gatorade or watered down soda or juice). I burst right into the Housewife Hill AS and saw Holly. She whipped up some mashed potatoes and put that run goo on my back per Vito's request (he saw how bad my back was at Bigfoot haha). I had purchased a smaller UD backpack so there was a lot less rubbing. I started to find my groove at each AS, sit down, take socks off, let feet dry, change socks, eat as much as I could during the process, then move on. 
     Over the next session it was fairly warm. I was getting tired so ended up sleeping off of the trail a couple of times just to make it into Armstrong's Pass. Once in there I saw Tom again and he looked a bit rough to say the least. He said he was getting ready to head out soon to Heavenly and I had planned to rest a bit. He headed out at about 4:20 pm and I rested and left around 5:45. I ended up catching up to him along the route about 3 miles up the trail and he was not doing well. He was able to collect his thoughts a bit and was going to head back down to Armstrong's Pass and get some rest in hopes that he would feel better. He wasn't moving that fast and once I left him I was like, "if I make it to that tree and he still hasn't left... I'm bringing him down myself." He was up and moving. I continued to make my way up the long switchback with him on my mind in hopes that he'll be well. I began to roll again once I hit the summit and cruised into Heavenly AS about at 11PM. Candice, "would you like some pizza?" Me, "hell yeah I would!" With all sleeping tents full I decided to not stay long. I ate, called Eric, slept on the pavement for about 30-45 mins, got up, ate again, and rolled out on this next very long section. I intended on doing this one at night so all was looking good.
     I was out of Heavenly AS all alone... I love that feeling for some reason. I cruised along the route and got surprised by Scott Rokis (Photographer of the Race) with some flashes out of the woods. This dude was out there in a boot just getting it! He was gonna do anything to get the right pictures taken, much props to that.
 I continued to move onto Tunnel Creek through the day. It was just filled with some absolutely breathtaking views. I wasn't moving the best during this section but with the mind set at an unrelenting forward progress attitude. I was just happy to be out there. I ended up catching Amy at Tunnel Creek AS and chatted it up a bit. I did my regular routine, had a change of clothes waiting for me, and even better... They had tacos at this station. I ate about 7 of them including a ton of other foods and drinks. I knew the next section had the "dreaded" power-line Hill with 1,500ft of climb over 1.2 miles I think. I was able to catch up to Amy prior to the hill and she gave me some thoughts on it for she lives in the area. I stood at the base with the sunset fast approaching, just how I wanted it. This hill didn't scare me in the slightest... It reminded me of many power-line chutes that I've done back in AK. I put on some Blue Suede, "I can't stop this feeling", put that smile on.... And 'PICKED IT UP' Gosh it felt great to just suffer at that exact moment. I just flew up that hill passing many others. This hill ain't gonna go no where just standing around. I got to the top in under 30 mins I believe. Turned that headlamp on towards the top and began to cruise down. I ended up stepping into a puddle that just wet my feet. I calmly found a rock to chill on, changed socks, and pushed on. With a huge burst in energy I was just flying past people, loved the hills from that point on. I was looking at the watch and was like ok... I should arrive around 10PM into Brockway B&B AS. Then I ran into a fellow runner who was in a bad way... No cell service... Just us runners who can only help each other. I quickly made the decision to stick by this guy until the next AS, which was about 6 miles out. He had troubles breathing and going up hill. He recalled going through this section in last year's race and just kept questioning why. Goes to show how you can't treat each race the same way. Things can always be different. We got into the AS safely at midnight. I became more mentally exhausted than physically and decided to shut it down for a bit. I was gonna lay down until 3AM and hopefully roll by 4. I got into the sleep tent that felt breezy, air mattress half filled and only a wool blanket. I fell asleep in no time with dreams that I was on a tropical island. That they had brought big heaters into the tent and... And I felt so warm until.... My 3 AM wake up call. Holy shit was it cold outside. I was freezing! I need to hurry up and get dressed and get to the heaters by the food. I sat there just rocking back and forth contemplating on getting up. Thoughts: you know you're going to warm up if you just get back on the trail and start moving. I spoke with Howie for a bit to where I said, "you look comfortable in that sleeping bag." He was like, "I dreamed about this on the trail while I was taking little trail naps." Within about 30 seconds he fell asleep in the chair, curled up in his sleeping bag next to the camp heater. I thought to myself... This is where dreams come true...
     I got up and said "20 out.) I put on some John Mayer 'Where the Light is' album and Jack Johnson 'Live in Paris' to follow and began to move down into the darkness. After about a couple of hours the sun had arisen and I was just in an awesome flow along the trail. I was running and in just a pure euphoria. Realizing I am the lucky one to be doing this. I cruised down into the next AS, went through my process, joked around with everyone there while being a goof ball myself with funny photos.

I was quickly out with intents to catch some folks ahead like MeepMeep. I was off with the music turned up and up beat. I felt unstoppable with only like 30 miles left to go and an ambition to not see another night. Could I finish in under 84 hours? I sure as hell was gonna try dammit!
     I continued to move lightly on my feet, up and down the hills. I rolled past fellow runners taking naps on the sides of the trail or just suffering up them. I rolled into the last AS with Tom there awaiting me and ready to help. I was going through my AS routine, asking about other runners up ahead (Daro), could I catch them, where's MeepMeep, I passed him? How? I didn't see him? After about 45 mins he came in looking rough and wanting to quit. Man he was rough. Hey lay down, I'll let you use my cold weather jacket (Tom to MeepMeep), you're good man. I knew with about 16 miles to go and less than 5 hours to do so I had to roll if I wanted to make my under 84 hr cutoff. Also... Maybe I can hit the sunset at Ellis Peak... That would make for some good photos that I could take, gotta go! 
     I swiftly moved on with my mind on one thing... Under 84, under 84. But man Candice sure didn't make that last leg easy... Rough terrain to climb up on that last big climb. Why Candice, Why!!! I just kept feeling like I wasn't going to make the 84... Sunset. Get to the sunset if anything. Still no sight of Daro. Finally... I've made it to the return of the original out and back. I know where I am. Only about two miles to the Ellis Peak area and we'll rest there and capture pictures. Through the trees and into the open I see it. Wait! I see movement! It's gotta be Daro! Oh I'm gonna catch him. New energy burst! As I rolled along I now noticed that it wasn't Daro but Scott Rokis and two others taking photos and video. Well shit... I've gotta give them something to use. Damn this sunset is beautiful. Give them something! I kept moving and began to pick it up as the sun crested beyond the mountains. It was all down hill from there but still pushing the 84 hr time limit I had put on myself. I ran. I ran harder and faster. Gotta get it. Onto the face of the first hill I was knowing it was going to be close but I'm moving fast. Eeeerrrrrr!!!! A shot station!! Tequila, Fireball, or PBR... Your choice with 1 mile to go! Fireball it is! It hurt a bit but I knew I was there. The finish was right there. 83:38 hr:min I believe. More that 14 hours better than my time at Bigfoot 200, crazy. It was a crazy fun race and what made it even better was the fact that I had a blast the whole way with no negative thoughts. My 2 200 mile races were now completed. Us humans can do some amazing things so never doubt yourself. Shit look at me... I'm not your typical ultra runner body. We are capable of doing so much more than we think we can. So I urge each of us to get out there and explore yourself. We never know when our time will come so we might as well live while we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment