Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Contemplation and knowledge gained with new appreciation

     Azimuth and myself continued to work my way down to Randle, WA, where the Bigfoot 200 ends, and the race start date is getting closer and closer. If there's one thing I'm sure of it's that time is ever passing us. I am feeling pretty good about the race (still nerves) and excited for the opportunity to really suffer again. With a couple of days until the volunteer trail maintenance party for the weekend I am lucky enough to have a friend, Geoff Maggay, put me up for a night and reset before I hit the road. It felt so great to take a shower after two weeks of multiple runs, river and lake washes, and just plain old wash cloth sessions. I am truly grateful to know many good human beings such as Geoff who are willing to help me out along this journey. So fair warning, if I get an open invitation to stop by if I am in the area... I'll probably take you up on it. I headed out after having dinner with him and headed to Randle to set up shop for the next two days of trail work.
     The next morning I met a very jovial, like minded group of people who were eager to get to work on the trails. Amongst this group was Matt, Ned, Carl, Tom, Garrett, Candice, Jesse, Amy, Becky, Josh, 4 dogs, and myself (if I missed you I apologize). Our goal was to cleanup as much of the trail as we could from the Owens Creek Checkpoint to the Twin Sisters CP. There were lots of blowouts along the trail and trimming of the vegetation all around. We all worked hard and fast clearing a good portion until we replenished our fuel supply with a late lunch break. Having cleared a good portion of what we explored (which ended up only being 2 of 15 miles) we decide to just take a small group (Candice, Matt, Hank, River, Azimuth, and myself) consisting of 3 humans and 3 dogs with a bow saw, small hand saw, and a machete and make our way from Owens Creek to Twin Sisters. The rest of the group drove to twin sisters cp and began to work backwards on the trail and set up for the evening meal, vegan chili (delicious)! The small group was working furiously along the trail just hacking and sawing at anything insight. This was working good until we lost accountability of ole Hank and he jumped over and under downed trees and got in the way of a downward swing of the machete!!!! With the swing coming down to a yelp from Hank... We all froze and looked at Hank as he ran off, turned around, and looked at us. I will inform you that Hank is a chihuahua (maybe a mix with another). We all huddled around him as he acted as if nothing had happened to him. He was bleeding from the top of his head with about a 1/4 inch cut on the top of his head. We had to create an improvised bandage over his head, put him in Candice's backpack and began moving forward a lot faster, for we knew we had a long ways to go before we got to Twin Sisters. The hacking and sawing continued and taking note of locations to bring the chainsaws out to. The views along the way were just breath taking but we still felt a sense of urgency to keep moving. As the sun was falling out of the sky, so did the temps but gave us an unforgettable sunset through the valley. Up and around the bend we hear the calls coming from the camp and we finally know we are close. Side note, if you are ever traveling with one Candice Burt... Don't trust the distance of how much is left. Always add to be safe, haha (all in kind heart Candice). It  was great to get off the feet, eat some delicious chili with cornbread and have so chocolate chip cookies as we sipped beer into the night.
     Sitting there in a circle, around the imaginable fire, we conversed out so many things from religion to politics then to which basically came down to our contemplation of our existence and our purpose. Each person has their own purposeful role in the  realm of Earth, whether it be good or bad. Take Candice for example, she inexplicably is fulfilling peoples dreams by putting on events such as the Bigfoot 200/Tahoe 200. That's a very powerful thing/responsibility that she has taken on. Garrett if a full time volunteer coordinator for Candice, Tom is a principal, Carl is a federal agent, Jesse a computer engineer, I live in a van and somehow people we amazed to just meet someone who does that and get my perspective on things and my purpose. It was great conversation with an even great view of the stars. Man I can just gaze at the stars endlessly and still me amazed. I hadn't looked up at them in so long for some reason. They still give me the feeling of being so tiny in this great big universe. I saw over a handful of shooting stars and I still continue to wish for good in the world.
     The next day was much of the same as I assisted a team out to the big blowout area of the trail and let Jesse and Garrett go to town on the trees and making a more clear path for the future hikers and runners of the trail. At the end of the day we gathered up for some such needed grub in Randle called Mt. Adams Cafe. The next thing on the menu was planning out the travel plans for marking the course now. Having hiked almost 30 miles over the weekend the race within two weeks I said I'm good to drive but gonna calm down on the miles until the race. The next morning they, Garrett and Candice, were prepping their backpacks with markers, post, hammer, stapler, staples, water, food, clothing, etc.... Their bags coming out to over 40 lbs and both of them going to be traveling over 100 miles each most likely. Crazy. My eyes have been opened to the humongous undertaking that they have ahead of them and just how much Race Directors/Coordinators go through. I can truly say that I am thankful that she is my RD for the next two races. I have an even more appreciation for all the RD out there who are putting on such events, thank you.
     I was so happy to come out and volunteer (give back) to the trail and learn so much. To converse with other like minded individuals, even though they probably do most of the talking until I get a few beers in me. I am going to have to seek out more volunteer opportunities for cleaning, marking, and aid stations for other/future races. Be a pacer for someone! Just simply help more. About a week and a half out from the Bigfoot 200... I'm ready for one hell of a ride in the mountains!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great recap of the weekend, Shaun. I can't appreciate more the integrity with which you are living to your highest ideals. Can't wait to share some miles with you and all the other like-spirited souls on the BF200 course next week.

      Delete